Now registering for 2023 sessions. Limited space available.
***** Call 647.340.2293 or contact us here to reserve your spot *****
Capoeira encourages discipline, helps to teach and instil the value of loyalty, responsibility and self-confidence. In this way it helps in the positive formation of those who participate and become involved in the practice of Capoeira. See a list of benefits for children here.
The importance of Capoeira for children is not only in the historical and cultural aspect, but also in the physical qualities it helps develop; balance, motor coordination, speed, strength. It also helps to develop the potential of each child to learn in life, in school and have a positive influence in their life in general.
Capoeira Bamba has been working with children since 2001 and is Toronto’s largest kids Capoeira program with classes 6 days per week. Classes available for Minis (3-6rs), Kids (7-12yrs), and Teens (13-17yrs).
The involvement with Capoeira awakens the musical, physical, artistic, and creative sides of the children who practice in this art form. Capoeira is one of the best ways for children to develop mind, body, and strength. In addition to the benefits above, Capoeira helps to build a strong and positive character and personality through self-expression in a fun and playful environment.
Mestrando Paraiba has been working with children for over 20 years teaching them Capoeira, Music, Brazilian Portuguese and traditional Brazilian Dances.
Graduada Neném has been training Capoeira for 19 years. Her passion and enthusiasm is motivational and inspiring for students of all levels, from children to adults. In 2006 Neném completed her B.A. in sociology from York University and moved on to completing her Masters of Education in 2009.
Physical & Health Education
Social and Emotional Health
– In our Kids Capoeira classes we accept children from ages 7-12. In Minis Capoeira, 3-6.
– Kids Capoeira is a 60 minute class where children will progress through all the aspects of Capoeira (martial-art, dance, acrobatics, music, language and more). The class consists of a warm-up, basic movement recaps, sequence training, partner work (currently on hold due to Covid), and will sometimes end with educational games to help them further develop certain skills. Strengthening exercises, stretches, music and singing is also incorporated into class. All classes are held in a safe and friendly environment with a healthy mix of fun/games & hard work.
– For Capoeira, wear comfortable and breathable WHITE pants (no shorts or jeans please) and t-shirt / top of any color.
If you do not have white pants, we can loan you a clean pair for $5.
– Being that it’s their first time, it’s important you arrive early (minimum 15 minutes) to allow them time to get comfortable with our Academy and instructors. Often when kids arrive late their first day it sets them back for the rest of the class.
You may also want to try following along one of our videos here to give them a bit of a head start on their first class.
Yes, but most are optional. Once you first join, a uniform must be purchased and must be worn for ALL classes. Besides that, we host events in which we encourage all members to participate, but it’s optional. Such events include parties, camps, sleep-overs, movie nights, competitions, and belt ceremonies.
Yes. Every year we host our Annual Batizado in which students can receive their first belt and progress through our belt system. Students will be evaluated for their skills, attendance and focus levels. Occasionally, other aspects will be considered such as school grades and behaviour at home.
Yes, but it is important you speak to us about this and other issues so we can better understand how to help your child overcome them. We also periodically host self-defense classes where we focus on how to deal with bullying and build confidence.
– No. Your child must have turned 6 to join the older kids group (Kids Capoeira, ages 6-12).